Saturday, August 14, 2010

What I'm Looking Forward To: Baltimore Comic-Con Edition

Over the next few days I'll be posting a collection of the panels, guests and exclusives I'm most excited about experiencing at this year's Baltimore Comic-Con. Baltimore was one of two cons I attended last year, the other being NYCC, and I had a blast. Not only did I meet a number of creators I've had a great deal of respect for over my years of comic fandom, I also made a handful of contacts that have turned out to be fruitful over the last ten months. I'm very excited about going into this year's BCC with a slightly higher profile in the industry and seeing just what I can accomplish this time around.

My first look at this year's Baltimore Comic-Con will start with a rundown of some of the exclusive events they've put together for fans this year. Exclusive workshops, contests and giveaways are a great way to drum up interest for a convention and the guys behind Baltimore have come up with some great ones this year.

Klaus Janson & Howard Chaykin's Artist Workshop - Industry mainstays Klaus Janson and Howard Chaykin have been giving an artist's seminar for Marvel Comics for years now. The workshop gives artists on the verge of breaking in a chance to pick the brains of two of the greats while learning valuable tools for surviving in the comics industry. Recently, Janson and Chaykin took their show on the road and were met with success at the prestigious Savannah College of Art and Design. This year, the two legends of the field will offer their seminar at the Baltimore Comic-Con. Entry into the event is $75 and will take place on Saturday 28th between the hours of 1 and 4 PM with a peer review session afterward. To apply for the seminar, call host store Cards, Comics & Collectibles at 410-526-7410.

Second Annual Costume Contest - The Baltimore Comic-Con will also be hosting their second annual costume contest this year. A follow-up to last year's inaugural contest, which saw a much larger turn out than promoters expected, this year's contest has some incredible prizes, including a $1000 grand prize for best overall costume. Are you intimidated by the skill and devotion of hardened cosplayers? Well, have no fear, because Baltimore Comic-Con is offering contests in both the Pro and Amateur categories. So throw on those trenchcoats and muss up that hair all you wannabe Constantines, pull on those fishnets and singlets all you saucy Black Canaries, it's time to party!

That's just a couple of the things I'm looking forward to at this year's Baltimore Comic-Con, but there's plenty more to come. Check back to Surfing the Bleed over the next few days for more about which guests I'm looking forward to seeing, which panels I'll be attending and which bars I'll be thrown out of!

No comments:

Post a Comment