Friday, October 2, 2009

My Friend Barry

I'd like to tell you about my friend Barry. To say that Barry is a talented artist is simply an understatement. To say that Barry is one of the most talented designers and illustrators I've ever met (and I've met more than a few) probably still wouldn't cover it. If I had to choose one word to describe Barry, it would be amazing.

Not just a great artist, Barry is also a good friend. On the long list of truly moving things people have said to me or about me, Barry is featured more than once. As a person and a creator, I have nothing but respect for this friend.

Recently, Barry's had the good fortune to work for such comics publications as Popgun and the Boom Studios adaptation of Diablo Cody's Jennifer's Body. But that's just the tip of the iceberg for my pal. As the months roll by, the job offers roll in, and Barry becomes one of the most sought after artists in the business.

By the way, Barry is a girl.

See how I was able to talk about her without mentioning her appearance? I mean, you'd think it was simple or even, I don't know, expected considering the ease with which I accomplished it.

Your assessment of a person's talent shouldn't be contingent upon their gender or whether you find them attractive. The kind of things Ming creates don't come from her fashion sense (which is impeccable), her choice in eyewear (which is inspired) or her features. To wax poetic, they come from inside, from the heart, from the soul, from...life.

I'd hope that the people who read this blog understand that.

If you'd like to find out more about my friend Ming Doyle (and I suggest you do) you can check out my interview with her here and/or visit her at her website.

No comments:

Post a Comment