Monday, May 4, 2009

I completed an 8-page Batman story last night. It's the first time I've ever tried to script Batman and I'm really pleased with how it turned out. I'm also pleased with the fact that I took what was originally seventeen pages and narrowed it down to eight. The ability to tell a rich and engaging story in as few pages as possible is an important skill for someone trying to break in. Often times you'll get started out on anthology books, writing eight page stories about certain characters. At NYCC I was told by more than one editor that, when perusing your portfolio, editors love to see eight pagers in your file because it proves you can tell a story in the least amount of space possible. It proves that you know how to self-edit, how to cut the unnecessary fat away from your story. Now I just have to find someone to illustrate this thing. Any takers?

3 comments:

  1. I'd love a copy... I don't know if I'd get the chance to illustrate it, or how long it might take me if I did... but I'd love to read it, at least.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can send you the file if you e-mail me. gbrettwilliams@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your NYCC comments brightened my day for reasons I don't want to jinx. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete